Thursday, September 25, 2008

Because I said so!

"Because I said so!"...My #1 most hated phrase used by parents everywhere (including myself on occasion).  It ranks right up there with , "Don't make me count to three."  Ugh!!!  

I ran across a brilliant insight that I've been using in training and disciplining Hudson (3 1/2) & Pierce (almost 2).  The principle of authority is not that "I'm the authority so they have to obey me," but "I'm the authority and IF they obey me things will go well with them!"

Scenario:  We ventured to Whole Foods last night with all three children in tow.  Yes, we did.  We did pretty good avoiding major disasters (like toppling glass jar pyramids, etc).  When we were checking out David pulled the cart through the checkout aisle.  Hudson was hanging on to the side of the cart with his brain in la la land.  Three times I said, "Hudson, stop," to no avail.  Hudson got his face smashed between the cart and the wall.  When we got to the van I said, "Hudson, do you want things to go well with you?"  He smiled and said, "Yes."  I went on to explain the verse about honoring your parents and the benefits.  I asked, "What happened in the store when you didn't listen to me?"  His face got smashed.  "If you had listened and honored and obeyed me would things have gone better for you?"  Yes.

It's incredible to see the shaping of a heart in action.  We actually had a lady tell us how well behaved our children were in the store.  I could have laughed and cried at the same time!

2 comments:

Margo said...

Thanks for the reminderof how we should train their hearts! Sometimes I feel like I am turning into a dictator...scary picture of myself for sure.

Amanda said...

You go to "customize" in the upper right corner. Then go to My Blog List and click edit. A box will come up and you click Add to list. Type or copy and paste her site address and say save.
How long have you had a blog?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.