Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Confessions of a desperate mommy

Warning: If you have a weak stomach DO NOT READ the first part of this post!!! (You may not want to ready any of it).

Wednesday is library day for us. Every Wednesday after naps we load up our huge pile of books and movies and make the exciting jaunt to the library to make the exchange for new stuff. Today we did just that. However, everything changed when, from the backseat, I hear, "My tummy doesn't feel good. Mom, I can't hold it ..." He barely missed Adelle who had a front row seat for some serious projectile action. Hudson started the party and it went downhill from there.

My first thought was to get him home and clean up the van. On second thought, I don't want late fees on those movies and if the kids are all going to be sick, we really need new movies (books are good for two weeks). And, if I'm going to be up all night with sick kids I'm going to need some caffeine! AND, mom's who have to clean up after sick kids deserve expensive caffeine. David was headed out of town for a basketball game and I was not prepared to handle four erping (is that a word?) children without ample entertainment and energy. Totally selfish and depraved - I know.

So, we drove home, cleaned up the van, cleaned up Hudson, grabbed a couple of towels, and got back in the van. Yes, we did. Then we drove back to the library. Hudson lost it again on the way there (it's about 4 minutes away) so I told him to lay down on the floor of the van and stay there while we ran in and get some movies. Well, I got what I deserved. As soon as we got into the library Alayna moaned, "Mommy, my tummy hurts." Then she erped all over the library floor. The librarian kindly held the baby while I cleaned it all up, cleaned Alayna up, grabbed our movies (yes, I did!) and finally made a "clean" get away.

We got through the Starbucks drive-thru without any more incidents. We spent the evening watching movies and running to the bathrooms. At one point I had Alayna over one toilet and Pierce and Hudson sharing another one and a towel over my shoulder with the baby. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up!

Everyone is in bed for now and I'm going to make good use of this caffeine and go clean the bathrooms.

7 comments:

Mom To The 3rd Power said...

Don't hate me, but I have to admit I love hearing stories like this! Times like these make us mommas crazy for a few hours or days, but then we sit back and laugh and maybe even love a little more, this wonderful most awesome job of raising and caring for our kids.
And I'm so glad you got your movies and caffeine. Much needed and much enjoyed, I'm sure!
Cari

Margo said...

Oh friend...I am so sorry! Let me know if I need to bring you more movies or more coffee or ANYTHING! love you!

KOsment said...

you have lots of people who will do those runs for you!
1. ALWAYS HAVE PLASTIC TRASH BAGS IN THE CAR! (and even a SMALL plastic trash can)

2. sat with Joel throwing up for 3 hours IN AN EMERGENCY ROOM while we were camping.... considering the tornado going thru and the other accidents they were treating... it was a GOD thing that we were in the safest place... be glad for DVD's books and the sanity to make that run!

Shannon Wheeler said...

but... kid throw up is so adorable...

Katie said...

Oh NO! If you need anything, please let me know! Brave woman! And Starbucks and entertainment are not items born of depravity, they are items born of NECESSITY! :)

Mrs. Troop said...

So sorry! The vomit monster is the worst! But you know what? My big kids talk and laugh about when everyone was sick (and they were little) and they all slept on the floor with trash cans and movies going. It's horrible at the time, though!

Fred Love said...

Karen - who knew this would make great memories down the road!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.