Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer School

Hudson and Pierce "playing" with Adelle.

I got out of the van at Target yesterday and parked next to me was a big black SUV with a lovely blonde woman in the driver's seat on the phone. She got to watch the process that is getting the kids out of the van. I unbuckled Alayna, and pulled her out, then the boys hopped out, then we all walked around to Adelle's side. The kids put their backs on the door while I get the baby out and stick her in the sling. The blonde lady rolled down her window as I grabbed hands and arranged our train. "I don't know how you do it!" She yelled over my van. I yelled back, "One kid at a time!" As we walked into the store a couple of older ladies walked in behind us. I could hear them chattering together about my kids. As I put Alayna in the basket and instructed one boy to hang on to each side they came up on both sides of me and said, "You've got your hands full honey!" Yes, I do. That's the best answer I have for that one. Alayna likes to put her hands on the handle and help me push. :)

We traveled back to the toy department because I actually had an hour to kill before feeding the baby and heading to the Y for a step class(the bug guy was spraying our house - spiders! ack!). Nothing passes time better than looking at toys, right?! Another lady in the toy department looked up and counted my kids then said, "Wow, you are a brave woman!" To which I always answer, "Brave or crazy!" That always gets a good laugh. Who knew four little kids would be such a phenomenon!

We (I) decided to go ahead and start school. It's been so hot that we can't get outside too often and I can't take them to the pool unless I have some good help, so we might as well be doing some school. It's going great. The kids love their new school books and there are still a lot of things we can do all together. The read-alouds, history and Bible we do all together first. This morning we read the story about Adam and Eve - Alayna calls them Adam and Even. Pierce, who has had no letter recognition up to this point is really getting it. We're taking it nice and slow with lots of repetition. We played a bean bag gamethis morning - if they could tell me something from the history, read-aloud or say their Bible verse they got to throw the rolled up socks into the laundry basket. Who knew that would be the greatest game ever?!

Pierce and Alayna rolling cars on their letter "A".

4 comments:

Amanda said...

"You've got your hands full!" I hear that at least a few times every time we leave the house. It can be a very annoying observation when I'm in the midst of a struggle. Like I'm dropping Lola and Claire is throwing a fit and Kate is running away and Riley is begging for cheese. I sometimes want to say, "Thank you captain obvious." But I'm usually very nice. :)
Way to go with the summer school you awesome lady, you.

Katie said...

Love all the Mom comments! You handle them with grace :). And your kids ARE awesome! I live the Adam and Even. That one made me laugh out loud!

I tried calling you but it said you were unavailable! I'll try again later this morning!

Katie said...

'love' not 'live' ;). Love writing from a phone!!

6 Happy Hearts said...

Aaww the sweet comments from the crowd?! Way to handle them with humor & love!
I do love the comments from the veteran parents who have walked in our shoes. Recently we sat across from an older couple in Whataburger (pronounced what-a-booger by smallest j) & they were smiling at our crew. The gentleman correctly labeled the j's ages & said, "keep doing what you're doing. We raised 5 & it still is fun."
it's those comments that spur me on during a hard day.
So keep doing what you're doing! Your family is blessed beyond measure :)
Let me know when you have openings in tour school. Jilli would like to attend!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.