Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pear Pickin'

We have a pear tree in our backyard and it's loaded with pears this season. It's been gorgeous outside so yesterday we did some morning pear picking and an impromptu science lesson on spiders.
In the very middle of this picture is the eight-legged creature that made me jump backwards off my ladder and prompted an insect vs spider lesson. This next shot is a blurry close up. I'm glad spiders eat flies, but I'm really not a big fan!

Alayna found a "baby" pear and ate the whole thing core and all. Then she went back to the bucket and found herself a big one.

Pierce LOVES pears. They're his absolute favorite. My favorite phrase of the day, of course, from bare-footed Pierce, "Ugh! I stepped on a wotten peh-uh. Now I have peh-uh swime on my foot!" Translation - he stepped on a rotten pear and got pear slime on his foot. :)
Hudson was my little worker bee, carting the pears from the tree to house.
This is the bucket load that I get to make into something. You're welcome to pass along any creative ideas or recipes. Hudson would like to make some applesauce, "only it would be pear sauce, but that sounds weird." :)
Enjoying our tasty snack.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

pear sauce sounds good! Or pear butter (like the apple butter). Myrecipes.com has pear walnut muffins and pear upside down cake.

Katie said...

Whatever you make, I will eat.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.