Friday, February 11, 2011

Book Review

We take a trip to the library once a week and check out a few hundred books and five movies (that's our limit). I pile them all in my Akins tote bag that I got for free somewhere. It's pretty handy. I usually carry Adelle on one hip and cart the books around on the other arm. By the time we leave I'm usually sweaty and out of breath, but we're in pretty good shape for the rest of the week.
John Sutter and the California Gold Rush (Graphic History)
My kids have always loved to be read to, but since Hudson is reading so well these days, I usually have him read to Pierce and Alayna. We recently found these graphic novel history stories and he LOVES them! Our library has lots of them and I grab a handful every time. They're written sort-of like a comic book with lots of pictures. Be careful on your choices. I learned that this time when I grabbed a handful and one of them was about the Donner Party - that's the story where they get stuck in the mountains and eat each other (might not be appropriate for a six-year-old!). Thankfully this was one of the stories David read to the boys and he's good at editing!. The anniversary of the California Gold Rush is February 28 and I was way excited to find that story!

Product Image 1001 Pirate Things to Spot (Hardcover)
This one is just fun and there are lots of these. You can spot things in the town or in the house or in the sea. The list is long. My four year old loved this one. It's great for counting and for something to do while the big brother is doing math an the teacher is occupied!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.