Friday, October 10, 2008

Choose Life

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men."  John 1:4 

The New Living Translation says, "Life itself was in Him."  

We just started a new Bible study at church.  It's an inductive study on the book of John.  So, here's my question of the week:  how many days of my life do I truly choose Life?  Seriously, half the time I forget to eat breakfast, much less take time in the morning to acknowledge and praise the Source of my life (no wonder I forget to eat).  

So, the last few days I've really purposed and practiced getting up and focussing my heart and mind on Christ, even if it's the boys fighting over something that wakes me up in the morning, or Alayna crying, etc.  (It's rare in mommy land to wake up all by yourself - someone always does it for me). 

I set my alarm for 6 am all week long.  I got up once at 6.  I don't think Satan wants me to wake up early.  One morning Alayna woke up hungry at 4:30 (she never does that).  I got her back in bed by 5 and I almost fell back to sleep when Pierce came wondering in just before 6.  I pulled him into bed with me and laid there with him until he fell back to sleep.  When I finally got up, Hudson was awake and wanting breakfast.  I fixed him breakfast and Pierce woke up.  I fixed Pierce breakfast and made the coffee, then Alayna woke up.  And the morning was gone.  

So, I've simplified my goals.  I may not get an hour of uninterrupted prayer in the morning, but I can acknowledge my Savior who is my LIFE and my LIGHT and know that if in all my ways I acknowledge HIM, He will direct my paths for the mommy days:  days where my feet and my hands never stop moving, when I forget to eat, when I've changed diapers and wiped bottoms and cleaned up messes and broken up fights, when I've offered instruction and applied discipline and wiped tears and blown noses, and given hugs and kisses.  It doesn't mean my days are a breeze or a bed of roses, but I have direction, and peace and joy and hope for the days ahead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pipes are healthy. everyone needs a dose of tobacco every couple of months......... thanks for sending my invite info. very helpful. Love you.

6 Happy Hearts said...

Amen sister! Very well said : )

The Frugal Muse said...

Alyson! I found your blog via Amanda's, and I'm so glad I did. Your post reminded me of something I read about Suzanna Wesley once that I've thought of so many times since entering "mommy land:"

I can't remember the exact details, but it was something to the effect that Mrs. Wesley, mother of something like 16 children, couldn't often time find for the dedicated prayer that she wanted. So she taught her children that whenever she had her kitchen apron draped over her face, she was not to be disturbed because she was praying. During those child-raising years, her time with the Savior was found in a few minutes here and there hiding under her own apron. Somehow that's been quite encouraging to me in recent years! Hope it is to you, too.

Love you, friend.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.