Friday, June 12, 2009

The Storm

A storm came through that blew my metal lawn furniture to the fence.  A good analogy for my life right now.  Things that are supposed to be intact and secure and stay put, have been blown to the fence.  Let me back track.

I took David to the emergency room Monday night with heart attack symptoms.  He's something of a hypochondriac that I rarely take to seriously (I don't get good-wife points for that).  But the pale sweaty face and hand on his chest made me a little nervous.  After a gamut of tests at Bailey Hospital with an abnormality in his stress test, he was transferred to Hilcrest for an angiogram that came back clear.   Over a three day period I shuttled my children around from my parents house to a friend's house and tried to keep things somewhat normal and fun, all the while waiting to see what was wrong with my husband.  The verdict came back:  You're stressed and you need to exercise.  However, since being home his blood pressure has remained elevated, he's had a constant migraine (those don't sit well with small children) and nausea.  I thought a man with a cold was a handful - this is a whole new ball game.  I'm having to work really hard on the compassion/patience part of this.  Fatigue is not my friend.

In other news, Alayna is not interested in weaning anytime soon and she will probably make a great ball player someday.  She's developing quite the arm throwing every sippy cup and bottle that comes her way.  I've never had a child like this.  Don't get me wrong, I'm  all about nursing.  I would just love to go out for more that 3 hours at a time.  I think that's reasonable :)

I taught my aerobics class last night on the BOSU.  I had people walk out!  That's never happened to me before.  I LOVE the BOSU - I must be one of the few.  It was hard - my muscles were burning.  But that's a GOOD thing.  If that doesn't happen I feel cheated out of a good workout.  

Last thought for this post - can you continue to live life in peace and joy despite your circumstances?  For example, with a truly sick husband that needs extra care, three small children that depend fully upon you, all responsibilities on your shoulders because the other adult in the house really can't handle it right now, and growing fatigue - with all that, can you maintain peace and joy and hope?  The answer is yes.  I realize my situation is minuscule compared to many.  My stress over the last four days has been another's life story.  I am in no way an expert on going through trials.  But, as I go through this one, when the lawn furniture is at the fence, my house still stands strong.  

Lord, I am so glad that You are in control, that You have orchestrated this day and it is beautiful in Your sight.  My heart is at peace because You are good, because Your purposes are good, and because when all is said and done Your glory will prevail and Your name will be praised.

There are many ways to get through a day.  One way is to moan and groan, stumbling along with shuffling feet.  This will get you to the end of the day, eventually, but there is a better way.  Lean on the ONE whose strength never fails, Who never falters with fatigue, Whose way is easy and Whose burden is light.  HE LOVES US!  Oh how He loves us.  Purpose in the midst of the storm to "Give thanks in all things, for this is the will of God."  

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Your kids are so blessed to have a mom who has joy when circumstances are scary and unsure. Praying for you guys.

Katie said...

Love you, friend! Your insight is, as always, extremely refreshing and encouraging. Hang in there, friend.

joe said...

You are strong, and your strength is founded in the Word. Do you know how that makes me feel? I love your writing ability too. analogy of the metal furniture blow to the fence ... wow. and then the discription of one who would moan, grown and shuffle feet. Dude, your good!
Love you babe, and can't stop thinking about you.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.