Monday, August 3, 2009

Cantankerous

 Monday nights I teach water aerobics at the Y.   This is not a twinges-in-the-hinges old people class, but I do have a few old people attendees.  I also have some big tough guys with knee issues, etc.  Anyway, I finally talked one of my workout buddy's to try to the class.  She loved it, and so did her 11-year-old son who joined us.  However, without me realizing it, the moment he jumped into the pool one of my oldies got huffy.  Forty-five minutes into the class I noticed that she was extra huffy - sighing and trying to get my attention.  I walked over and asked her if everything was okay and she exploded, "I didn't realize children were aloud in adult exercise classes!!!"  yelling, spitting, etc.  I calmly replied, "These classes are open to families and if he's participating with his mom it's fine.  Is he bothering you?"  More sputtering, "Well I just assumed this was an adult class!"  Still yelling at me and shaking.  I said, "As long as he's participating, he's fine."  And I went back to teaching the class.  She continued to simmer beyond a rolling boil and proceeded to pick up her styrofoam weights and throw them at me!  Yes, she did.  I was shocked.  I almost laughed, but contained myself.  Instead, I smiled and said, "I see that you are angry and you are welcome to fill out a comment card at the front desk."  Sputtering and splashing and working her 4 ft frame along the edge of the pool to the ladder she continued to yell, "Oh, I will!  Oh, I will!!!"  

I was so flustered.  I work hard to provide a pleasant class atmosphere.  I tell stories about my kids, I learn about my class attendees and remember their names and ask them about specifics in their lives.  I try to really care.  And I have NEVER been yelled at.  From that night on I am committed to becoming a sweet old lady. 

4 comments:

Katie said...

Good grief!! It sounds like you handled it perfectly, though. Don't worry--you will be a very sweet old lady. :)

Amanda said...

Well done, Al. Of course you'll be a sweet old lady. :)

Shannon Wheeler said...

wow. I love shocking stories like that. you will be sweet. I think I will too. something must have happened to her that made her dislike precious little children.

Angela said...

Ha! That lady is amusing. That's sad, but so funny that she threw her floaties at you.
I think you'll be a tough old lady, but also cheerful and sweet. :) I'll be like Grandma, just crazy. :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.