Saturday, May 29, 2010

The best advice I ever got on having a new baby ...

After I had my first-born and went through the traumatic experience that is bringing them home from the hospital (what? You're letting me take him home?! Somewhat comparable to the first time I drove by myself thinking, I can't believe they're letting me do this!), some of David's friends threw a baby shower for us. One of the wise mother's there (a link to her blog, Mrs. Troop, is at the bottom of the page) gave me some advice that has stayed with me through every baby.

Every morning, take a shower and put on some makeup.

Brilliant! When you're frumpy, post-baby-weight, sleep-deprived body meets real life, it makes all the difference in the world to look and smell presentable. There may be days you accomplish little else in those first couple of weeks home from the hospital, but your whole frame of mind is much more positive when you're clean and not embarrassed to be seen! Did I mention that Mrs. Troop has EIGHT children. She might know what she's talking about! :)

It's not so important that you look good while you're changing diapers and wiping bottoms and printing Batman coloring pages and disciplining the other children and feeding the baby and feeding the other kids and loading the dishwasher and folding the laundry and refereeing disagreements and finding Hans Solo in the pocket of the other shorts ... it just makes you feel better. No, I don't have it all together and never will - but I'm clean!

5 comments:

Katie said...

SO. TRUE. Brilliant woman!!

Amanda said...

I'm too obsessive compulsive, or something. Things must happen in the right order. I hate to shower before I get a workout. So I'm usually nasty until 3 in the afternoon. But yes, a little blush and mascara is a big help sometimes.

MelissaC said...

Good advice. It takes me forver to wake up in the morning if I don't share first. I think its more a mental thing than anything else. I hope you are doing well!

Shannon Wheeler said...

I want to color some pictures with your kids.

Mrs. Troop said...

Sweet Friend! :-)
I don't remember that (or much else about the last 15 years) but I still DO that. HA!
SO happy for you and that you are now numbering six. One of these days I'm going to get to hug on those darling kids!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.