Monday, May 16, 2011

A little peek into my morning

There was a time in my life when I was much "godlier." I would sweep my long, flowing hair into a ponytail and pull on a warm, cozy sweater and slip my feet into warn house shoes. I would get my coffee, head out onto the front porch swing and read my Bible in the rising sunlight with singing birds and clucking chickens for background noise, offering up my prayers for the day. I was really living the Christian life and feeling really good about it. God must have been very happy with me. ;)

I'm reading a book right now I'd like to share with all the mother's of little ones out there.

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches

She shares the same thought I just shared above with a great analogy: Back in those "godlier" days, I was like a rock in a stream, being refined by a slow river in a quiet place. Sure, I was growing spiritually, but so easily and so little. These days I'm in the rock tumbler where it's not so easy to feel godly. There's very little time for quiet reflection. "I do a lot of on-the-job failure and correction. Repenting and forgiving. Laughing. Lots and lots of laughing. Because if there is anything that life in the rock tumbler will teach you, it is that there is no room to take yourself seriously. Like trying to strike 'cool' poses on a rug that someone is continually pulling out from under you. Self-seriousness in mothering is totally pointless and probably painful!"

So, here's a real-life look at the first part of my morning:

At 6:30 this morning I rolled out of bed to iron a shirt for David before he left for work. I hit start on the coffee pot as Hudson came in asking for breakfast. A few minutes later I heard Adelle holler from her crib. I went in to get her up and change her diaper. Pierce and Alayna woke up soon after that. I got them all at the table eating their breakfast (funny question from Pierce: "Mom, are we city kids or country kids?" Ha!). We prayed together and said goodbye to daddy for the day.

NOISE
After breakfast I pulled out my pen and paper to scribble out a meal plan and grocery list while the kids "played" (Adelle dumped toys and library books, Alayna begged me to draw flowers and princesses all over my list, Hud and Pierce were playing some kind of very noisy spy/ninja game involving swords and karate).

After my list was completed, I got Hudson going on piano practice and played his songs with him, Adelle on my hip. As I'm counting beats with Hudson, 1, 1, 1-2, 1-1, 1-2, Adelle is mimicking my words and Pierce is yelling at Alayna to get out of his room. After a talk with Pierce about how Jesus would treat him and Alayna, finishing up piano, cleaning up breakfast, getting Adelle down for her nap, and a lovely phone conversation with my mom, I sat down here (the kids are watching a movie - we're doing afternoon school today so I can catch up on a few things this morning).

BUSYNESS
After Adelle's nap we're headed to the grocery store, Chick-fil-a!!! Grandma's house, the library, and back home for school and Adelle's afternoon nap (this involves getting four kids in and out of the car at least 6 times!).

I need a shower and another cup of coffee (Don't you love my priorities!). As I corrected Pierce this morning I had the fleeting thought, why can't they just get along? Why can't everyone cooperate? Why am I constantly playing referee? And then TRUTH - "Every failure from them (my children) is a wonderful opportunity for repentance and growth." And I had to deal with myself in that instance as I asked Pierce if he was showing love or anger to his sister. How do I react when I'm trying to do something and they want my attention? Do I shoo them away? Do I get irritated or respond to them in frustration because they're interrupting me and the very important things I have to do? I told Pierce, "I know you want to play with your own toys in your own room without Alayna bothering you. But I want you to think about what Jesus would do. Would He let Alayna come and play with him or would He tell her to get out of His room?" Pierce smiled, "He would play with her." Such a good reminder for me this morning!

"Generations will reap what I sow. I could pass on a curse or a blessing, to those I may never know." --Sarah Groves

4 comments:

Julia's family said...

Thanks, friend. This is where I am and what I needed today too.

Katie said...

I need this book.

Amanda said...

Sounds good. I'm going to read the book on my trip.

Mrs. Troop said...

This is so beautiful! I can't tell you how many days I have that completely fall apart before sunrise. But I understand grace so much more than I did in the quiet. I recognize my need for Him in a deeper way. And when I think of His salvation? I am amazed - because I know that I am hopeless without Him.
Happy Wednesday! :-)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.