Monday, January 5, 2009

Priorities

"...My soul is bowed down within me.  But this I recall and therefore have I hope and expectation:  It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness."  Lam 3:20-23

I'm tired and I have a lot to do.  I always have a lot to do.  It's never all done.  Is there such a thing as catching up when you have small children who faithfully obey the scientific law that things go from order to disorder.  You feed me, I'll spit up or drop food in the floor and I'll poop later and let you know so you can change me, etc.  I'm not complaining, just stating the facts.  My dryer quit and I have a pile of laundry to haul over to my moms this afternoon.  I was a good wife yesterday.  I made blueberry muffins for breakfast, meat loaf, steamed carrots and salad for lunch, and some incredible chicken, rice & vegetable soup for dinner.  I ran the dishwasher twice yesterday and already once this morning.  I'm not tired of my life or my family.  Not at all.  I just want to be caught up.  "...My soul is bowed down within me."  I spent my morning at Wal-mart aka exhaustion.  I'm sticking to the budget and bought cheaper coffee beans and they're gross.  

On the BRIGHT side, my kids are WELL!!  Alayna's still on antibiotics, and not sleeping well, but no snot!  My husband might be able to fix the dryer without buying a new one.  My mom lives right around the corner and doing laundry at her house might even be fun (she had good coffee ;D ).  I have left-overs from yesterday so I don't have to cook tonight.  What good is it if I get all caught up and miss out on water color painting, and smiles and jokes and creative, crazy kids?  There are definitely days that I spend nap time running crazy to get everything accomplished that I possibly can, then there are days like today when I feel to the bone that His tender compassions fail not.

8 comments:

MelissaC said...

Good post! I definitely know how you feel. It's like you finally feel like you are starting to get caught up and the kids (or the hubby) create a huge mess right behind you.

Hang in there and remember the house doesn't have to be perfect. The housework can wait but the kiddos will only be this age once. Enjoy them now!

Katie said...

So perfectly put, my friend. I don't have three little ones, so I know your life is waaaaay nuttier than mine, but I do know the feeling of standing in the living room with a half-unpacked suitcase, a floor that needs to be vacuumed, a pile of laundry on the couch, dishes in the sink, and a screaming baby ... it can get just a tad overwhelming. You're doing great and I definitely think water colors take precedence over cleaning!! :)

Kristi Bowers said...

great post. good encouragement. correct priorities. just a little humor though, don't skimp on the coffee, not worth it. Its worth the little extra...hahaa

Amanda said...

Thanks for reminding me of His tender compassions. I forget so easily.

Steph said...

It is amazing how busy it can be!! This is a season right!! One of these days we will be able to sit down for thirty minutes or so....one of these days!!

Margo said...

Your dryer broke?? Bad coffee?? Oh friend, one day, you will feel caught up...it may not be for a while, but it will come. Praise God for His love, grace, compassion, and strength. I pray that you get good rest tonight!

luv_bn_gma said...

Ladies, I speak from experience. These days will be over tomorrow. You will wonder how they passed so quickly. Your investment in the lives of your children FOR CHRIST will not be wasted. Right priorities and balance. It's a lifelong pursuit not a destination. You will no sooner "get it all caught up" when something will change and you are at it again. The challenges are there to cause us to look to God. You got it right Alyson! :)

6 Happy Hearts said...

Great post! You described some days around here so well. Except for the wonderful muffins, dinner, homemade soup. LOL!!
Very well said sister, very well said!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.