Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's just a formality

"What's a formality?"  Explain that one without using more big words!  

"Does Spiderman love God?"

"Did God make the Romans and Philistines special too?"  We were reading a story about how special and loved we are by God and our families - a Max Lucado special.  Why does a little brain immediately go too Romans and Philistines?!  I explained that God did make them and that every person is special and unique, but sometimes they reject God.  "What happens when they reject God?"  Do we really have to go there already?!  I went all the way back to Satan rejecting God and wanting to be God and explained pride in 4-year-old terms.  Pierce was listening intently too.  That's why when we brag or when we act selfishly we get in trouble.  I didn't think it was necessary quite yet to explain Hades in detail.  

So, this morning Hudson got the blue bowl and Pierce got the green one - we take turns.  Hudson starts bragging in his little sing-song way, "I got the blue bowl.  I got the blue bowl."  I put my hand on his head, "Hudson, you are bragging.  Do you think that makes Pierce feel good or bad?"  He answered, "Bad ... I'm sorry Pierce.  Will you please forgive me."  Pierce always asks forgiveness too.  He hasn't quite figured that one out yet.  Then Pierce said, "We don't bwag (brag), and we don't wegect (reject) God, and we do NOT say poopy." !!  And mommy kept a straight face and said, "That's right, now eat your breakfast!"

I pray for wisdom and seek wisdom from the Word every day.  I never know what questions my little ones are going to throw at me and I am responsible for shaping and training their little hearts.  That's HUGE.

11 comments:

Katie said...

And you're doing a fantastic job. I love this story!

The Frugal Muse said...

It's an overwhelming responsibility sometimes to me- shaping these little hearts and minds. I just told my parents yesterday that I feel like some "real life" example of the gospel presents itself to me and my little ones nearly every day. It's so cool to see God already working in our little ones.

You are a great momma!

Julia's family said...

Hey, I was just reading your blog this afternoon too! =) Thanks for your comments! Love your posts - they're so real and easy to identify with (except the boys. . . =)

Shannon Wheeler said...

man. that's awesome.

luv_bn_gma said...

Oh Alyson.......how wonderfully .....wonderful! Oh to keep the straight face. :0)

Heather said...

You are such an amazing mom!

Shannon Wheeler said...

drowning kids are so pitiful... in an adorable way. I will burn you some Regina Spektor.

Shannon Wheeler said...

thanks. I needed to be reminded of that. Job searching makes me feel really inadequate, and maybe a little bit "slow," which is fine. I'm slow.

Tyson and Lisa said...

ah...a little glimpse of what's to come. it kind of freaks me out! I'm glad I get one day at a time to shape and mold her. thanks for sharing!

Shannon Wheeler said...

Hey, you shouldn't "whatever" me. That's rude. But I forgive you.

Shannon Wheeler said...

well, that is very encouraging. I wish the boss at NB STL was as cool as Scott.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.