Monday, February 13, 2012

Getting the Workout In Today

Sweat dripped from my chin and elbows splashing onto the treadmill.  I'd prepared for this moment all day, all week.  I'd even planned my meals around this workout. I'd committed to training for something specific and now I could check another box on my training log.  As a busy, homeschooling mom of four kiddos, getting a workout in takes planning, motivation and accountability (preferably money, but I'll take a gold star).  ;)

I know that on Monday's our homeschool group meets from 8:30 to 1pm.  I teach Body Sculpt at the Y from 4:30-5:30 and my Choose to Lose team meets from 6-7pm.  I can either run early in the morning or from 1-2 while Adelle is still napping (since I value my sleep, lets go with the afternoon).  I have to know what the weather is going to be like.  I have to lay out my clothes and make sure my phone is charged.  I have to make sure I eat light at lunch and drink plenty of water through the morning if I'm running in the afternoon.  I have to prepare and plan for success.

My meal times have to line up with my workouts.  Eating too close to a workout can make me sick.  Not eating enough before a workout makes me feel weak.  Getting the right combination of protein, carbs, and  fat pre and post workout make a big difference in how I feel the rest of the day.  Food matters.

Lots of things motivate me.  That cheeseburger I ate over the weekend that I need to work off; a workout partner meeting me at a specific time; or boxes I can check off leading up to race day.  Aside from running, working out is my job.  I'm responsible to be there and be fit enough to lead others through a good workout.  It's nice to get paid to workout!

Planning ahead, finding what motivates you and adhering to some kind of accountability helps you get that workout in every day.  My schedule varies daily and my kids can throw a wrench in things.  But, for the most part, if I make a plan, I follow through.  However, "he who fails to plan, plans to fail."  :)

Note: I'm teaching a writing class on the 5 paragraph essay.  The previous was an example for one of my students.  However, I'm planning on keeping with this theme and providing a sort of blogging accountability/plan.  Writing is good therapy for me anyway.  So, in the next few days I'm planning a series (we'll see if I actually follow through!):

  • My weekly workout schedule
  • Choose to Lose update
  • Food Matters
  • Kids fitness and nutrition
Yea!  This should be fun!  :)


1 comment:

Mrs. Troop said...

Such good reminders! :-) Better hit that treadmill, myself. Ha!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.