Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mean Mom


Well, we got Kung Fu Panda the other day and I was going to let the boys watch it tonight.  We went to Target to get my friend, Kim James, a baby gift (girl due in Dec).  I picked up several other things and Hudson kept complaining about being bored and this was "no fun at all."  So I said, "We're almost done and when we get home we can watch a very special movie I got for us."  (David's taking a class tonight and tomorrow night so we're filling evenings without daddy with Target and movies.  It's like a mini vacation.  I know, pathetic).  Hudson asked, "Is it Wall-E?"  I answered, "No, but I think you'll really like it."  He proceeded to tell me that he only wanted to watch Wall-E and his whole day had been boring and he hadn't done anything fun at all.  So, I told him he couldn't watch the movie (we were outside of Target by now - because a smart mom never says something like that to an almost 4-year-old INSIDE the store).  He proceeded to wail like I'd just cut off his arm.  We got in the van and Pierce hit Hudson, (he needed a spanking because he was throwing a fit!)  We drove home in crazy loud crying.  We all got in the house and the boys went to their rooms.  We had a talk about giving thanks in all things and I told a story about two little boys who didn't have any toys or movies or special snacks, etc.  We talked about things we could be grateful for besides material possessions.  I don't think they quite got it, but they did get that if they throw a fit and grumble and complain, they will NOT get their way.  It's no fun being a mean mom ;)  The boys went to bed early and Alayna and I had a great night. 

7 comments:

Katie said...

That is too funny, Alyson! Way to throw down and follow through. I love the story about the two boys who didn't have fun things ... hehe. I will do exactly the same thing with my kids. And I'm glad you and Alayna were able to enjoy your evening. :)

Amanda said...

good job!

luv_bn_gma said...

Way to go Mom! Without them knowing it now, you have heaped blessings upon them with your firm and gentle discipline. Being "Mom" can be quite a thankless job but my being on the "other side" with grown children, I know they can actually THANK you for standing your ground because they know it's out of love and for their good. It's best to nip the undesirable behavior in the bud while they are young. You done good! Hang in there! :)

6 Happy Hearts said...

You're not "mean mom" you are WISE MOM ; )
Let me know how you like Kung Fu Panda.

Katie said...

That's hilarious--I say, go ahead and nurse in the restaurant!! Caleb IS fidgety ... silly little guy. For now, I'll stick to cars. But maybe I'll get brave and branch out someday ..??

Steph said...

alyson, you are a great mom. some times following through is tough but you did it!! thanks for sharing. great job. missed you guys this morning!! hope to see you soon.

Michelle said...

I saw your comment on Jen's blog and yes you should so be reading those books. You will love them.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.