Saturday, November 22, 2008

Raising Kids


Hudson, Alayna & Pierce watching Kung Fu Panda (which, by the way, if you have boys may not be a great idea because everybody loves kung fu fighting, especially brothers).  Who do you think Alayna looks like?

My sister and I were talking this morning about disciplining our children and using Scripture to do so.  For example, when Hudson was complaining about being bored in Target the other day I said, "Hudson, God's Word says we should do everything without grumbling and complaining.  Are you obeying God's Word?"  No.  "You are dishonoring God and dishonoring me.  Instead we should give thanks in all things.  What are some things we can be grateful for that God has blessed us with?"  However, if he hears me grumbling and complaining about the weather, the huge pile of laundry, the mess daddy made ;), etc, my instructions become null and void in his mind because good character is ALWAYS more caught than taught (actions speak louder than words). 

I will never be the perfect example for my kids, but I'm finding a little humility and asking their forgiveness goes a long way.  So, instead of being the almighty giver of wise instructions from Scripture and creating little legalistic Bible thumpers, I hope I can show my kids that mom has a hard time with that too.   We're all totally depraved.  There is no one righteous.  I can ask their forgiveness and show them Christ's forgiveness.  Sometimes I feel like, I've got to get this right!  These are future men and women I'm shaping here!  I'm yelling and complaining and lazy and I'm failing!  Lord, please fill in the gaps.  It's not just me instruction and training my little ones all the time.  More often than not, God is using them to sharpen and shape me.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I ask my kids forgiveness often. It pays off in lots of ways. It makes us closer to each other & to Christ. And when your kids teacher at school comes to you & says that when she confronted them about making a bad choice, they were very repentant and honest about the wrong choice they had made. It makes your proud of their honest, repentant heart.
I miss the baby days of my kids, but it is an awesome time to see all your persistent training turn into them having a loving, kind heart for others & for Christ, as they grow & mature. Keep pressing forward :) I still am!!

Bailey said...

so sweet. I hope I'm a good mother. Sometimes I worry I wont be and then I find myself saying "I'm not having kids".

I think alayna is such a ramey baby. Look at those eyes and chubby cheeks. But then again, I'm purely biased.

Amanda said...

...and all God's people said "Amen"!
:)

6 Happy Hearts said...

I love Amanda's comment ; )
Great post, beautiful babies & I know God had me read that tonight.
Big Daddy is sick w/a stomach bug...
so in my grumbling I took a time out to veg in front of the computer.
Ha! God can use ANYTHING to speak to us : )
Thank you Father that your grace is new every day!!!
P.S.
Thanks for the compliment on my hair ; ) And I know you are cherishing these days of nursing. Such sweet tender moments!

Anonymous said...

Haha, nice Manda.

I think that is so wise. Every day when I imagine mine and tyler's babies I think, "God, please don't make them like me." I want them to be sweet. but they'll probably be just like me. and that will be one of the most humbling things ever. I'm excited to be a mom though. I watch you and manda, just so you know.

MelissaC said...

I have an award for you on my blog! :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.