Wednesday, January 13, 2010

When Fly Lady Doesn't Fly

David and I have decided to pick a room every Saturday to clean from top to bottom - reorganizing and fixing whatever needs to be fixed. Last Saturday we did Alayna's room. I cleaned out the closet and made room for all of Adelle's little things. I haven't actually pulled out the baby clothes yet, but there's a spot for them when I do. I washed the drapes and he dusted and cleaned out the vents, etc. I decided I could pick a room for the week to work on as well - it feels like bonus.

I have a pretty good cleaning schedule going that I downloaded from Motivated Moms. I love checking off boxes and keeping my house in order all week long, not just the overwhelming, one fell swoop, all or nothing cleaning frenzy. The schedule I keep now includes meal planning and Bible reading and I LOVE it.

My most hated job in the whole world of housecleaning is the shower, David's shower in particular. We live in an older house (built in the 50's). It's got "character" and I love it, but I despise that shower. First of all, it was part of an add-on. It has very little storage (as is true with our entire house) and poor lighting. The shower is HUGE and there is no light in it at all. The tiles on the floor of the shower are one inch squares. That's a lot of tile and a lot of grout. Ugh! I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. Okay, maybe I am complaining.

I'm supposed to clean the bathtubs and showers on Tuesday's according to my list. Admittedly, I often skip David's shower. I know, bad wife. However, David's bathroom is my "room for the week." With that motivation in my face I did it - I cleaned the shower floor. That was all I could do. I'll do the walls today sometime. My green friends would be so proud too - I used a baking soda and vinegar past to clean to tile and peroxide to clean the grout. After you apply them you just leave them on for a few minutes before applying a little elbow grease. My husband was thrilled.

One other website that has boosted my January to a new level of organization is a blog my friend Christy hooked me up with. Check it out - the whole month of January is on organizing!
-----
If that Motivated Moms link doesn't work just type into your browser www.motivatedmoms.com

3 comments:

Katie said...

I checked out FlyLady and I almost broke out in hives. And I had no clue how to maneuver the site! I signed up for the e-mails and today I received 10. I promptly deleted them. I think there were ultimately great ideas (obviously there are, because it has helped so many people!) but it just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I checked out motivated moms and THAT I can get!

And ugh, showers. Ugh ugh ugh.

Heather said...

I loved the motivated moms website and ordered mine today--thank you Alyson. I also found a discount code GIVEAWAYS will get you $1 off (I know $8 isn't much but $7 is even better!)

Margo said...

You are right!!! This "green" friend of yours is so proud of your cleaning products!!! That is definitely the best thing, especially for your pregnant self. I, too, despise cleaning the showers. So, you'll have to show me this motivated mom thing before I spend $8!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.