Saturday, January 2, 2010

I'm a mom, that's what I do ...

Pierce got a tool set for Christmas from Mimi and Papa. He was pretty sure he looked awesome.
This is supposedly his "awesome" face.
I said, "Smile with your teeth." Nice.

Cute kid, but seriously, don't tell him that. During Christmas at Grandma's this year one of my cousins told him he was cute and he burst into tears. "I'm not cute! I'm awesome!" Alayna is the cute baby girl, Pierce is the awesome big boy - don't get the two confused. It's about the height of insult for him.

Last night he and Hudson were playing "bad guys." In his deep, scruffy, voice he yelled, "Cwiminals awe on the woose! Wun for your wives!" (Translation: criminals are on the loose, run for your lives!). He keeps me smiling.

Yesterday, Hudson and I played countless games of Go Fish and about a 4-hour game of battleship (thank you Aunt Epsie!). He's at a pretty fun stage because he can read pretty good and his ability to think strategically is pretty sharp.

Alayna plays a new game where she lines up all her babies, wraps them up in blankets and sings songs to them. Most of the time I have no idea what she's singing. Yesterday I made one out. Sadly it was, "Scooby-dooby-do, where are you?!"

We're pretty set on Adelle for baby #4. Pierce would like us to name her Ellie Peaches. Hudson is pushing for Alexandria as a middle name (his middle name is Alexander). While we haven't settled on a middle name yet, I think Ellie is a pretty cute nick name.
------------------------
I'm a mom, that's what I do. I was at a party in December where I heard a girl say that all her mom ever wanted to be growing up was a mom, and now that the kids are grown, she doesn't know what to do with herself. My own mother has echoed the same thoughts. Maybe most moms are in that boat, especially when you have young children that require so much physical, hands-on energy. Time for things outside of mothering is just not there. So, as I wrote out my schedule and goals for the remainder of this school year and the rest of the year, I put a little thought into who I am and what I want to be now that I'm grown up.

This year will be somewhat monumental (I say that very lightly). We celebrate 6 years of marriage in February. Adelle arrives in May. I turn 30 in September. I'll be home schooling a first grader and a pre-schooler (with two baby girls running around).

Right now, in my "spare time," I teach aerobics, crochet, read, write, etc., among the mommy/wife duties of caring for babies and home and husband. I don't want my priorities of God and family and home to become mediocre efforts because I'm focussed on ME. So, I think, while I plan on keeping things pretty much the same, in the back of my mind I'm going to keep thinking about what I want my life to look like in 10-15 years, when the babies are big and the mommy has a little bit more time on her hands.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

I think I want to start a crocheting group. Because I know some moms who know what they're doing, and they can show me how. It can replace eating and visiting with crocheting and visiting, which will help my other resolution.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.