Monday, March 14, 2011

What I've been reading

I've been on a World War II kick lately. Before that it was Amish, and before that it was pretty much anything by Francine Rivers. Once I find an author I like, I pretty much read everything they've written.

There is a lady in my water aerobics class who I run into at the library every once in a while. Once she'd locked her keys in her car so I gave her a ride home and made sure she was able to get into her house. We talked about books all the way to her house. She brought a book she thought I would like to then next water aerobics class and that's what got me started on this recent reading rampage.

Sarah's Key - the saddest story I've read in a long time. It's historical fiction. While the characters in the story are not real, the sad history of it is. I got fancy this time and linked all the books to review sites or interviews.



















After reading Sarah's Key I looked up World War II on my Kindle. Clara's War popped up next. I was craving a true story. This one is incredible. Click the book to see a real youtube interview by Clara.

The Kindle always gives book suggestions: Those who read Clara's War also read Gertruda's Oath. Another amazing true story.
Gertruda's Oath - eBook
Click on the book to see a real Youtube interview from the little Michael who is now a man.

I took a break from reading for a while and then a friend gave me this one to borrow. I'm about half way through and loving it too.


So, what are you reading these days??

3 comments:

KOsment said...

I did that
I read EVITA and then some books about S. American History and then how WWII impacted THEM... MY FAVORITE (I'll loan you) was "THE BOOK OF ABRAHAM"
it followed generations of Jewish scribes across 6 continents and world events and perspectives of things through the eyes of different cultures. We're very selfish when we think it is all about USA! <3

Casey Palmateer said...

I think you would LOVE 'Unbroken' -- look it up, it's by the same lady that wrote Seabiscuit. Its the true story of an airforce pilot taken captive by the Japanese during WW2. So heart wrenching -- with such a redemptive ending. Call me once you've read it so we can discuss!! :)

Fred Love said...

Ooo - thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look them up. Unbroken is on my list, Case! You're right on :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.