Sunday, March 27, 2011

For the last time.

It's a sad day for me.

I've nursed all my babies for a year. I just do. It's cheaper, it's good for them, it's good for me, it's convenient. And I love it. I love just being forced to sit. I love to feed the baby and play with her hair and check her ears and her fingernails and feel her soft skin and just enjoy her smallness. They just don't stay small. I've loved every stage, but I think I really love that little-baby-wholly-dependent-on-mommy stage. This one has an independent streak of determination running through her blood, but she still liked nursing.
Well, remember those nasty poison ivy vines and the nasty poison that leaked through my shirt (yes, I was wearing a shirt! Good grief!) and infected my entire stomach. I went to the doctor last Monday, but all she could give me (nursing) was a topical ointment, not a whole lot stronger than the over the counter stuff. By Saturday, it had spread everywhere, and I do mean everywhere (except my face, thank goodness). So I called the doctor again and she gave me a steroid prescription. I have to take it for 10 days, then wait two more days before my milk would be okay for Adelle. I hate pumping more than I love nursing and did I mention that the poison ivy spread everywhere?! Ugh. So I fed Adelle for the last time this morning.
We've both had kind of a rough day. She walks up to me saying, "Mamamama." And I pick her up and hand her her cup. I know it may not seem like a big deal. In a few weeks it wont be a big deal at all. But it is today.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Alyson, this made me teary. I'm so sad for you. It's so hard when the weaning feels somewhat out of your control, too, you know?

You're such a good Mom and Adelle will be okay. I know you know that, but gosh it's sometimes nice to hear someone else say it. Love you, friend. Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow. And, what kind of Starbucks may I bring you Thursday morning? :)

Amanda said...

Al, I'm so sorry. It's hard to stop anyway when you think it may be your last, but especially hard when it's forced. Praying for you as you embrace this new stage of life.

mb said...

So sorry friend. I know it is always harder when the decision is somewhat thrust upon you, not of your own choosing. Hang in there. Love you.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.