Friday, March 27, 2009

Are You Kidding Me?!

Tuesday was one of those days where I didn't get enough sleep or enough coffee to be a happy mom.  Kids naps didn't line up, so mommy didn't get a nap either.  Then David called to say he had a late appointment and wouldn't be home until 7:30 or so.  Well, I hung up from him and immediately called my parents - "Can we please come over before I go crazy?"  Sigh of relief.  We went to Mimi & Papa's house.  My dad ordered Olive Garden for dinner and bought Bolt for the boys to watch!  Hooray!  No left over roast.  I can make it until bedtime!  

Mom's phone rang and it was for me.  "Hello, this is Carol from South Crest Hospital.  We have your husband.  He's in stable condition.  Do you think you'll be able to come down here?"  WHAT???!!!

David had over-medicated his six-week-long sinus infection.  One way or another his inner-ear was affected.  Acute onset Vertigo hit him while he was driving down Hwy 169 during 5:30 traffic.  He said he had no sensation of the gas or break.  He made the decision to head to the easiest emergency room to navigate to, drove 80 down the highway crying out to God for his life (he had no idea what was going on with his body).  He pulled his car up to the emergency room doors and FELL OUT!  He had no balance at all.  Someone helped him into the hospital, they put him on a gurney and hauled him off.  After evaluation they gave him a steroid shot through his IV that sent painful tingles all over his body.  He told the nurse what he was feeling and she said, "Oh, it's probably your imagination" !!!  (South Crest is not on my good hospital list anymore!)

He was released around 10:30 with prescriptions in hand but without any good directions at all - like DON'T DRIVE YOURSELF HOME!!!  My parents cam to the rescue again and went to pick David up where he had pulled off the highway. Seriously!

All this time I've been communicating with David or a nurse from home - kids asleep, praying and crying and not really knowing what's going on and feeling so helpless to do anything.  I picked up my Jesus Calling book and read the daily reading:

"This is a time in your life when you must learn to let go: of loved ones, of possessions, of control."  Are you kidding me?  The rest of it was encouraging and all that, but that first line threw me!  All I could think about were the what-ifs in my situation.  My husbands life and the huge hospital bill, just to name a couple.  I hate to admit this, but the whiner I am, I immediately went into the "why me" prayer.  All I want is for everyone to be well and to be able to pay the bill.  Seriously, is that so much to ask?  I don't want to be rich and famous.  I don't even care if I'm ever skinny again (cause that's such a big deal, right?!)  This is the most awful day!  What is going on?

It has taken me a few days to settle down and look back on the situation to get a handle on my Israelite ways.  The next day I read Jesus Calling again, "Let thankfulness temper all your thoughts.  A thankful mind-set keeps you in touch with Me.  I hate it when My children grumble, casually despising My sovereignty.  Thankfulness is a safeguard against this deadly sin.  Furthermore, a grateful attitude becomes a grid through which you perceive life.  Gratitude enables you to see the Light of My Presence shining on all your circumstances.  Cultivate a thankful heart, for this glorifies Me and fills you with joy."  1 Cor 10:10; Heb 12:28-29

Don't make another pot of coffee, don't grab your comfort food or go shopping or clean house to make yourself feel better.  Sit down and count your blessings.  Be thankful right now for where you are and what the Lord has put on your plate.  Don't let yourself fall into that deadly sin of casually despising God's sovereignty in your life.  And please don't make me learn this lesson again!

PS - David is doing much better :)

6 comments:

Katie said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I'm so glad he's okay and wow--great perspective. God is so good about knowing what we need when we need it!!

Tyson and Lisa said...

um...I was pretty much going to say what Katie wrote you...I'm glad to hear that he's ok, too. what a crazy day!

MelissaC said...

I'm so glad to hear David is okay and so thankful he didn't get himself into an accident while driving to the hospital. That is very scary but is also a great reminder to count our blessings. Thank you for sharing.

Margo said...

oh friend, I am so sorry to hear that happened...wow! Praise the Lord that David's okay! Didn't I see you on Wednesday? Please remember that you can call me any time and I can join you in praying! talk to you soon

Steph said...

hey girl. i hope your week has gotten much better. i am so sorry....that was very crazy. i am always here for you.....i will run over and watch your kiddos or you can drop them off here anytime if you need me. so glad that he is better. i love how you draw near to the Lord. you shine brightly for Him. much love.

luv_bn_gma said...

Ditto to Steph and to Margo's prayer invite!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.