Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wait on the Lord

A couple of funny things before I dive in:   From the back seat of the car Hudson asked me, "Mom, what's a 'jerg'?"  For those who need translation, I think he meant "jerk."  Hmm, wonder where he heard that?!  Oddly his very next question was, "Are blue birds and red birds cousins?"  Crazy little four-year-old brain.

An insight from Bible study this week has stuck with me.  

They that wait up on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not grow weary; they shall walk and not faint.
Is 40:31

We know it well.  We recite it when we're weary.  The insight (stolen from Beth Moore) is that we should be waiting on the Lord.  We're always waiting on events.  When the house is organized, when the kids are older, when the baby gets here, when I get married, when the kids are well, when we make more money, when the weather is nicer, etc.  Our lives are consumed by events and waiting on the next event to happen instead of waiting on the Lord, seeking the Lord, delighting in the Lord.  I'm always praying for the Lord to work in a situation, or fix a problem, instead of praying that the Lord would make me the woman He wants me to be through the problem.  My friend, Lisette, quoted Warren Wiersbe in a note on facebook,  "If we value comfort more than character then trials will upset us.  If we value the material and the physical more than the spiritual, we will not be able to count it all joy."  So, in the midst of the trial, when we're weary, instead of fighting to get OUT of the trial, wait on the Lord.  What does He have for you in this?

5 comments:

Kristi Bowers said...

totally needed that. thanks

luv_bn_gma said...

5th round of antibiotics in 6 months and now time away from my sick little grandkiddos AGAIN!! Whaaa!! Lord, what am I to learn from this? Please don't let me miss it! Thanks Mama Freddy!

Shannon Wheeler said...

i think, "when I have a house... when I have a baby... when I get to travel..." thanks for that.

I'm sure Hudson has heard me say worse things. I'm thankful that maybe God shut his ears for that.

I have to spot Tyler for a headstand now.

Katie said...

This was such a good study and I love your insight. So true!!

Katie said...

Oh man, he's totally sticking his rear in the air and kicking his feet! I can imagine him crawling soon or just staying like that for a few months. Either would be fine. :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.