Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Luxury of Ignorance

I must admit that I live in a somewhat superficial state most of the time.  My greatest "tribulations" are having sick children or being sick myself (and when I says sick, I mean a cold).  And, if I were honest, those are only "tribulations" because I can't go to Bible Study, I can't go to church, I can't go to play group, I can't got to the Y, I, I, I can't do what I want to do.

In Beth Moore's Esther Bible Study she says, "As painful as the process may be, that which shatters our superficiality also shatters the fetters of our fragility and frees us to walk with dignity and might to our destinies.  We are not the fragile flowers we've considered ourselves to be.  We, like Esther, are the warrior princesses of God."

But, does it always have to take pain and trials to learn a lesson.  Can't we just seek and learn God's wisdom and be comfortable doing so?  Because, I would rather be comfortable.  I would rather pretend the world is all flowers and rainbows, I would rather live in my little Owasso bubble with my little happy family and be happy.  Or maybe I just don't have a very high "pain tolerance."  Maybe it takes bigger things for some people to learn stuff than it does for others.  Seriously, someone set me straight on this issue.  Gently - I don't like criticism.  Remember, I like to be comfortable - heh.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Hmmm. I don't think that it's fair to refer to the things in your life as things that are "superficial" and that therefore need to be "shattered". I think you have a very good and healthy perspective on life. And, I believe it is the way we handle the small every day things (despite a few "I" moments) that prepare us to handle the huge things, that make us warriors, like Beth said. The fact that you even wrote this post proves you aren't superficial, because you are aware of the world in which you live! Just because you don't face HUGE trials and OBVIOUS tribulations every day doesn't meant you don't have a good grip on reality--that IS your reality! And you handle your reality very well, I think.

Katie said...

*doesn't "mean", not "meant"

I might be inhaling too much Albuterol.

Shannon Wheeler said...

comfort is my idol. bubbles are unhealthy. flowers die. rainbows... are pretty. i have nothing to say. i just wanted to comment.

Shannon Wheeler said...

oh, but sanctification is not comfy.

luv_bn_gma said...

The purification of silver requires increasingly high heat. A beautiful sparkling diamond is created by striking it (ouch) in the right spots to remove unwanted bits; hammer to an anvil to forge a work of art or useful tool....Each a process that takes time. All these have excellent results if done by a master. A favorite quote is, "Smooth seas never made a skillful sailor". As long as our pain and trials are useful in the Masters hand to form us into Christlikeness then they are worth it in the end. My flesh is all about comfort and it's a battle for me to deal with the painful parts of life. But looking back the pain is worth the outcome in my spiritual life. It's a battle but we are victorious warrior princesses in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Fred Love said...

Well said, Debbie. Thanks for that bit of wisdom and TRUTH!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.