Saturday, December 12, 2009

Break Time

Saturday's are generally the same as any other day for us. David usually still has work appointments. The kids and I don't usually do any official school, but we may tackle a project and my hands on attention is always needed.

Today, David is staying home with the kids and I get to go out. Grant it, it is a meeting, but it's at Panera with a group of women that I adore, planning exciting things. So, I'm excited.

Here's the part where I jump on my soap box and proclaim deep truths: Mom's need a break every once in a while. Deep, isn't it?! But, seriously, it has taken me three children to really understand this. I always felt guilty leaving my kids with someone else so I could go grocery shopping alone or just get a cup of coffee and sit in quiet. But I would let myself get to the point of weariness and tears and overwhelming frustration, when all I really needed was a moment without someone on my hip, and someone pulling at my leg and someone else yelling "mom" across the house. When I felt like everything I did was mediocre or worse, I would get burned out.

I'm not a preacher of "me-time" by any means. I love my children and I want to invest time and energy and MYSELF into them. However, the truth stand that if my energy is sapped, the only investment my children will receive will be from the frustrated, over-tired mom who has grown to view her role as a mother as a burden instead of a joy.

Last week, a dear, trusted friend offered to keep the kids for the day while I did something fun. She's a mother of four nearly grown children herself, so she understands exactly where I am right now - she was there herself at one time. So, you don't have to depend on your husband and run out the door as soon as he gets home from work. You don't always have to pay a babysitter (though I have a time or two). Even other mommy friends don't mind giving you a break, because they understand too.

So, I'm off to shower and throw on something cute (no maternity sweats - ugh!!) and get ready for a couple of hours OUT! This afternoon holds plenty of lego building, baby rocking, book reading and game playing. For now - a short break that I shall ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hear, hear! I hope to be like that dear, trusted friend some day when my kids are older. That's a cool lady.

Katie said...

Love this!! I completely agree--Moms need time to recharge, too, and our kids deserve more than the sloppy seconds of a Mom who is completely worn out and zapped!!

And I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting this morning! :) So fun to chit-chat with fantastic friends!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.