Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ear drums - who needs 'em?!

I don't know why I thought ear infections were things that kids get and they're not really a big deal. I will have SO MUCH more compassion now when my poor children get ear infections.

I woke up at 5am Monday morning with severe pain in my right ear and all over the right side of my face. I was sure it was swollen beyond imagination, but it wasn't. I called my OB and she directed me to my primary care doctor who couldn't work me in for a couple of days! I detest my home town Urgent Care. I'm pretty sure everyone who works there hates their life and hates all the sick people who come in. It's constantly PACKED with sick people too. I've never been in there and waited less than an hour. But, even after all that I was ready and willing to head into Urgent Care.

My wonderful husband came in from his first early morning appointment that happened to be close to our house and offered to drive me to a different Urgent Care. Yes, we would drive 30 minutes out of the way. That's how much we don't like it! So, mom came over to have a Christmas craft party with my kids (she's incredible) while David and I went to the doctor. I was the only person in the waiting room and we got right in. The doctor came in 2 seconds later - love it! Ear infection, sinus infection, and potential pneumonia! He couldn't do any x-rays but said if the antibiotics don't clear up the congestion within a couple of days to come back in.

David and I picked up Subway on the way home. All of this time that acute pain was constant. I have never experience pain like that that couldn't be relieved. It brought a grown woman to tears! We got home and fed the kids and put them to bed and put me to bed. I didn't sleep a lot until something popped in my ear. I didn't realize until later that my ear was bleeding. After a little research and the confirmation of several friends who had experience the same thing, I realized my ear drum had burst.

So glad God gave us two ears!

1 comment:

Katie said...

My poor sweet deaf friend--I left an award for you on my blog if you'd like to see it! :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.