Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Real on ONLY Reason for Happiness

Yesterday, I named ten things that make me happy. But somewhere in my pregnant, eardrumless fog I failed to mention that, while these things make me abundantly happy and I am so blessed, my JOY is in Jesus Christ. That is the One steadfast, immovable, unchangeable Foundation to joy and peace, even if something changes in my top ten list.

Since Monday, I've been laying low quite a bit. The minute I get up and get busy, I get dizzy and nauseous. Thankfully, the kids have been great and my husband has kept up the laundry and dishes and picked up the house and my mom has helped out with the kids when I really needed down time. Everything has gone smoothly, but I'm a busy person and it's only how many days until Christmas?! I really have so much to do but with my head swimming, I have to be still. Yesterday as I was fighting the need to set up the sewing machine and get to the grocery store and finish up the Christmas shopping, I read this:

"I am speaking in the depths of your being. Be still so that you can hear My voice. I speak in the language of love; My words fill you with life and peace, joy and hope. I desire to talk with all of my children, but many are too busy to listen. The "work ethic" has them tied up in knots. They submit wholeheartedly to this taskmaster, wondering why they feel so distant from Me.

"Living close to Me requires making Me your First Love--your highest priority. As you seek My Presence above all else, you experience Peace and Joy in full measure. I also am blessed when you make Me first in your life. While you journey through life in My presence, My Glory brightens the world around you."

Is 50:4; Rev 2:4; Is 60:2
Jesus Calling, Sarah Young

The first question in the shorter catechism is: Q - What is the chief aim of man? A - The chief aim of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

John Piper's deduction in his book, Desiring God is that we glorify God BY enjoying Him. Finding our joy in Christ is our purpose in life and fulfills our calling to glorify God. "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." - JP

In every moment leading up to the celebration of the life and sacrifice of our Savior, find your delight - not in the hubbub and craziness of shopping and gifts and decorations (though all that can be fun too) - but in the deep, deep love of Jesus!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free! Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me - underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love; leading onward, leading homeward, to my glorious rest above.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore! How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, never more. How He watches o'er His loved ones, died to call them all His own; How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o'er them from the throne!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, Love of every love the best! 'Tis an ocean vast of blessing, 'tis a haven sweet of rest. O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'tis a heaven of heavens to me; and it lifts me up to glory for it lifts me up to Thee.

--Samuel Trevor Francis 1834-1925

1 comment:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the wife of an awesome man known to his friends as Fred :) The mom of four incredible kids, Hudson, Pierce, Alayna and Adelle. We homeschool and I teach a few classes at our local YMCA. Above all we love and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and this blog is a peek at our journey to raise children who delight in the Lord.